Today, Mages announced the release of Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds on XBLA, their first game to be released in North America. A spin-off to the 2D fighting game Phantom Breaker, Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds“is a cooperative, side-scrolling beat’em up that hearkens back to the glory days of the 8-bit era, but using modern game development techniques.[youtube id=”b_lG13-ezSs” width=”600″ height=”350″]
A mysterious man known as the Phantom has awakened and hatches a plan to unseal his dark powers. By giving ancient weapons known as the F.A. (Fu-mantion Artifacts) to youths with special abilities, he convinces them to battle each other with the promise to grant the wishes of the victors. However, each time the Fu-mantion Artifacts, are used in battle the space-time continuum is weakened. This creates a rift between two parallel worlds, which will inevitably unseal the Phantom’s powers.
Waka, the daughter of the Kumon Family, a clan waging tasked with protecting the world from the Phantom, and her friend Mikoto, attempt to stop him. However, the Phantom manages to escape and kidnaps Waka’s younger sister, Nagi. Waka and Mikoto, along with Itsuki, self-proclaimed “Ally of Justice” and Yuzuha, a ninja unpersuaded by the lure of the Phantom, set off to rescue Nagi and stop his nefarious plan.
- Combines the best 8-bit retro aesthetics with modern 3D technology.
- Fight as Itsuki, Yuzuha, Waka and Mikoto, each with their own signature moves and attacks.
- Team up with up to 3 of your friends online or locally in Co-Op Mode or see who’s the greatest warrior in Battleground Mode.
- Earn experience as you battle through the enemy horde to unlock devastating new skills and build up your attack strength, defense, and speed.
- Battle against ginormous, screen-filling enemies!
- 4 different modes of play: Story, Arcade, Co-op and Battleground.
Phantom Breaker Battle Grounds is available on Xbox LIVE Arcade for 800 Microsoft Points.